Friday, April 01, 2005

If it’s good enough for handguns...

...it’s good enough for legislation. What am I talking about? The waiting period.

As I sit here this April Fool’s Day listening to the news, I already hear calls for legislation based on the Terri Schaivo controversy. This reminds me of the furor after 9-11 for legislation to protect us. Now we have the Patriot Act. My bet is that whatever legislation comes out of the immediate aftermath of Terri Schaivo’s death will be poorly crafted and do more harm than good.

My solution to this phenomenon is simple. I propose that there be a three-month period between introduction of a bill in committee and the final vote on the house and senate floors. This would not apply to resolutions, budgets, or declarations of war. The only way to get a vote sooner than three months would be to have a unanimous vote overriding the waiting period, i.e. 100 senate votes and 435 house votes. That’s it.

What do you think?

TOPIC: Politics